NOAA says this hurricane season will be the worst in decades. It’s set to be even worse than they originally predicted. With Hurricane Harvey looming down on Texas, Floridians should be weary of what this may mean for the rest of this dangerous season.
Harvey has already caused widespread devastation in Texas, and it isn’t done yet. Flooding, catastrophic damage and thousands of people displaced is nothing new to locals in Florida who have seen numerous hurricanes and catastrophic storms.
Chances are you have been through a hurricane or two. Many of us remember evacuations and the loss of electricity for weeks at a time. It’s important to have a plan, especially when this season is supposed to be very active with hurricanes.
NOAA predicts 5 to 9 hurricanes and 2 to 5 major hurricanes. With our warm oceans, these storms are not a rare occurrence, but plague Florida constantly. The most important thing you can do is be prepared and have a plan for a worst case scenario.
Below is a helpful checklist of things you should have prepared before the next big storm hits.
- Know your evacuation route and have a plan in mind. Know where your local shelter is located in case you have to evacuate.
- Have a bug out bag ready. This includes clothing and any travel necessities you may need for at least two weeks of time.
- If you have animals or children, make sure they also have a bag ready with all necessary items they may need.
- Keep essentials on hand at home, in case you can’t get out in time. Keep water, non-perishable items, flashlights and a weather radio on hand.
- Having a generator is also a huge plus for the possible weeks you may be without power.
Always prepare for the worst. You never know when the next devastating hurricane could hit.
Sometimes called fire-cord, Para-Lite paracord is essentially paracord that can be opened up and lit to make a fire in the most extreme situations. 5ive Star Gear, a company which is a part of Atlanco, has a reputation for innovative products for the survivalist. Para-Lite is their newest creation.
The paracord itself is as strong as the kind you are probably familiar with, in that it is rated to hold up to 550 pounds of tensile strength. By opening up the paracord and revealing the seven strands within, you can find the red cord in a tricky situation, and light it easily to stay warm or cook food.
The red core thread inside is essentially tinder and can easily be lit. The other strands inside the paracord can be used for a variety of tasks, such as sewing, fishing, sutures and more.
Each roll of Para-Lite comes with 50 feet of paracord. This paracord can also be used to make survival bracelets, zipper pulls, belts and anything else you can think of. This is arguably the most important addition to any bug-out bag.
Categories: Camping, Personal Safety, Prepper, Survival, Tactical, Uncategorized
Tags: Bug-Out Bag, Para-Lite, Paracord, prepper, survival, Tinder
Florida’s Sales Tax Holiday this Friday, June 2 through Sunday, June 4, 2017 – The latest news out of Tallahassee is Floridians are going to get a chance to buy hurricane supplies tax-free. During this three-day sales tax holiday, qualifying items related to disaster preparedness are exempt from sales tax.
You can find the hurricane supplies you’ll need at your local Al’s Army Navy Stores this weekend and get them tax free!
So be sure to stop by Al’s Army Navy Stores where you can find the supplies you need. These are a few of the top recommendations, and most we have in stock now:
- Water purification straw and tablets, you absolutely can’t do with this.
- Food, we have a full stock of delicious MRE’s (non perishable Meal’s, Ready-to-Eat)
- Flashlights and batteries, too many to choose from to list.
- First aid kit, small pocket size to larger for your Go Bag; even ones for your dog.
- Whistle to signal for help and wow we have great ones, even 5 ways.
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place.
- Waterproof carry all’s and a huge selection of Back Packs and Go Bags.
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities and we have multi tools that are compact.
- Knife, from pocket knives to machetes and axes.
- Manual can opener for food, of course we are an Army Navy store.
- Local map and compass, many styles to choose from.
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio.
- Solar phone charger.
- Camping Gear, from small enough for your Go Bag to multi persons tents and folding cots.
- InstaFire, fire starters, pack-able camp grill, glow sticks, para-cord, GoGirl
- Personal Safety Supplies, from Pepper Spray to Tasers to Firearms and Ammo.
Complete details of the 2017 Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday are outlined in this link to a PDF from the Florida Revenue Department
Al’s Army Navy Downtown Orlando / Orange County: 23 N Orange Blossom Trail, Orlando, FL 32805
Al’s Army Navy Seminole County: 1440 E Altamonte Drive (Hwy 436) Altamonte Springs, FL 32701
What makes Nalgene water bottle so perfect? To start they are BPA Free, lightweight, shatter resistant, leak proof and made in the U.S.A. Also, resist to bacteria, stains and do not absorb odors. You can actually pour boiling water into them and they’re dishwater safe.
So when looking for the perfect Water Bottle solution that safely travels with you wherever you go look no further than your local Central Florida Al’s Army Navy stores.
Nalgene Water Bottles, sold in stores now and online at www.alsarmynav.com
See that lime green one in the middle of the photo? It glows in the dark!
At all Al’s Army Navy locations Orlando, Altamonte Springs and Sanford.
Categories: Camping, Personal Safety, Survival, Tactical, Uncategorized
Tags: camping, conservation, emergency, integration, nalgene, nature, outdoors, park, review, travel, vacation
There’s no escaping the phenomenon that is Pokemon GO™. The game has exceeded expectations, despite some significant glitches, to become one of the most popular mobile games in history. People have come out in droves in their quest to Catch ‘Em All, with both positive and negative outcomes. Here are some tips to stay safe while playing Pokemon GO:
Hurricane season officially starts on June 1st, and ramps up in August. This week is National Hurricane Preparedness Week, and we’re focusing on how you can prepare your emergency kit. We highly recommend getting your plan together well before the peak of the season. Continue reading
Receive a SOG Limited Edition patch and $5 back with any SOG purchase of $39.97 USD ($43.97 CAD) or more between May 15th 2016 and August 15th 2016.
Receipts must be dated between 5/15/16 and 8/15/16, and rebate claims must be postmarked no later than 8/29/16 and received no later than 9/5/16.
Questions? Visit sogknives.com/rebates-promos.html or send an email to email@example.com.
To check on the status of your SOG rebate: rapid-rebates.com
April is National Sexual Assault Awareness Month. According to the most recently available data, one in five women and one in 16 men will be a victim of completed or attempted sexual assault while in college (source). Awareness is the first layer of protection in your self-defense plan. These non-lethal weapons add another layer of protection. Continue reading